When you live on campus, it’s likely you will have at least one roommate. Most of our living options are traditional double occupancy rooms. Having a roommate creates connections and can help ease the transition into college life.
If you would like to try and find someone to live with, there are a few ways you can meet other students:
- Join the Facebook group for new students or transfer students. Here you can introduce yourself and share your social with other students. Even if you don’t find a roommate, it’s a great way to start meeting your fellow Warriors!
- Fill out the lifestyle questions – such as your preferences around cleanliness, visitors, studying, and smoking — in your housing portal during the roommate request process (March – April)
- Introduce yourself when visiting campus for ChooseWSU or a Registration Day
- If you are involved in athletics, your coach might suggest you live with a teammate or another student athlete
Students who want to live together must have a completed housing application (signed housing agreement and submit the $250 pre-payment) to do a roommate request.
Roommate groups for new incoming students are a maximum of two students per group (you and one friend).
This is an optional process. Don’t stress if you don’t have someone to request as a roommate!
Most of our students do not go through the request process and get a random roommate during the room selection process.
How to Request a Roommate
Between March 1 and May 1, follow the steps below to request a roommate.
- Login to your Housing Portal with your StarID and Password
- Click into your Housing Application
- If the process is open and you are eligible to do a roommate request, you will see the roommate pages in your application.
You will need to verify your roommate group in your Housing Portal by May 1.
If you do not complete this step by May 1, you and your roommate will not get to select a room together.
All students in a verified roommate group by May 1 will get to pick a room together during the room selection process in May.
You and your roommate will be assigned the same room selection time slot for May 14-16.
More detailed room selection information will be sent via email after May 8.
If you did not request a roommate by May 1, you will go through room selection as an individual or be assigned a roommate if the room selection process has closed.
Once you select your room, you can view your roommate information in the Housing Portal. If you did not select a room, roommates are assigned from May – August in your Housing Portal.
We encourage you to get in touch with your new roommate before arriving to campus to communicate about who will be bringing which items and to get to know each other.