Visitor’s (B-2) Visa

A B-2 Visitor Visa allows people to enter the U.S. for a short time to visit friends and family, take a vacation, and enjoy other types of tourism. 

If you are graduating soon, you may like to invite your parents or other family members to attend commencement. 

Here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor’s visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in your home country. 

Write a letter of invitation. In your letter, include the following information 

  • The purpose of the visit
  • Your relationship to the individuals 
  • Your status at Winona State University 
  • The length of time they will be visiting 
  • Itinerary of the visit 
  • Provide details about the commencement ceremony 

Include an Enrollment Verification Letter from the Registrar’s Office to confirm your student status.

Request a graduation announcement letter by completing the Graduation Announcement Form.

Providing your family members with a letter of invitation may help their chances of obtaining a visa. 

However, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of the applicant’s request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.

For additional information about U.S. consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the U.S. Department of State Visa Information.

Contact International Student & Scholar Services
International Student & Scholar Services Office

Maxwell 130
175 West Mark Street
Winona, MN 55987

Phone: 1.507.457.5303
Fax: 1.507.457.2474

Email ISSS
ISSS on Social Media

WeChat: @WSU International

WhatsApp: 1.507.312.3984

ISSS Facebook

ISSS YouTube

ISSS Instagram