Visa Rules & Regulations

An F-1 visa is a temporary student visa that allows international students to study full-time at an accredited academic institution.

If you are entering the U.S. or are in the U.S. on a visa other than an F-1 visa, please consult with your immigration lawyer on rules and regulations.

Visitor’s B2 visa is an option if you’d like to invite family to attend your commencement ceremony. 

F-1 Visa Requirements

To maintain your F-1 status at WSU, you must meet the following requirements.

Enroll Full-Time During Fall & Spring Semesters

Full-time enrollment for undergraduate programs is 12 credits per semester. 

Full-time enrollment for graduate programs is 6 credits per semester. 

Update ISSS if You Make any Changes to Your Program 

Do not withdraw from a class without first speaking to an ISSS advisor.

Speak with an ISSS adviser if you plan to change your major or program of study.

Update eServices with your new address within 10 days of moving.

Only Work When & Where Allowed 

Find out more about F-1 student employment in the U.S. 


If the form doesn’t require a signature, you can complete the form online and email it to

If forms do require a signature, you can still type out the form fields. However, you will need to print the form, add your signature and then drop the form off at the International Services office in 132 Gildemeister Hall. 

You can also mail the form to: 

Winona State International Student & Scholar Services
175 W Mark St. 
Winona, MN 55987, USA. 

Please make sure to complete all required boxes on each form submitted. 

Contact International Student & Scholar Services
International Student & Scholar Services Office

Maxwell 130
175 West Mark Street
Winona, MN 55987

Phone: 1.507.457.5303
Fax: 1.507.457.2474

Email ISSS
ISSS on Social Media

WeChat: @WSU International

WhatsApp: 1.507.312.3984

ISSS Facebook

ISSS YouTube

ISSS Instagram