Club Funding

All official student clubs and organizations at WSU can request a certain amount of funding per year from the Student Activity Fund (SAF). 

This limit is determined by the age of the club, aka The Tier System as outlined in the Registered Student Organization (RSO) Policies (PDF):

  • First Tier Organization Fiscal Year of Operation: up to $500/year 
  • Second Tier Organization Fiscal Year of Operation: up to $1,000/year 
  • Third Tier Organization Fiscal Year of Operation: up to $1,500/year

Clubs older than three years may only request up to $1,500/year from the SAF.

The Tier System was implemented as of August 25, 2014. All clubs made after this date are sorted by age in the Tier System. All clubs established in the WSU Student Senate Club Directory before this date were given the $1,500/year limit.

No funds are automatic. You must submit a funding request each year and have the following documents on file:

  • A current club directory form 
  • A current member roster 
  • Current club Constitution 
  • Most recent Semester Financial Review documents

Club leaders must also attend all Alliance of Student Organization meetings and the yearly Treasurer Workshop to receive any funds.

For any questions, contact the Student Senate Treasurer at

SAFC Funding Request Report

Funding Request Reports are forms that document how funds are being spent. All clubs that receive funds from the Student Activity Fund (SAF), either through the SAF Committee (SAF) or allocated by Student Senate, must document how they spent that money.

If your club has a fixed budget or did not receive any funding, you don’t have to submit a Funding Request report.

How to Submit the SAFC Funding Request Report

After submitting your funding request form or student senate presentation form, you will receive an email 7-10 days after the requestor said the funds were needed by. 

If you do not complete your funding request report by the end of each semester your funding ability will be frozen in the upcoming semester or until the FRR is completed.

Here’s the information you’ll need to have to ready:

  • An itemized breakdown of how the funds were spent. 
  • The number of funds that were leftover, if any. 
  • If there was a change to the request, why? 

Purchasing Items

Once funding is approved, there are certain Business Office procedures you can use to make purchases that do not require paying for them out-of-pocket and then getting reimbursed.

If you have any questions, please contact your club/organization advisor or the Business Office.

Field Purchase Orders

Field Purchase Orders are used by some local businesses (grocery stores, food places, apparel printing businesses, etc.) and act as a check or a promissory note from the university.

If you are not sure if the business accepts a field purchase order, please call ahead.

Here’s how to request and use a field purchase order:

  1. Fill out the request for a field purchase order that will then go to your advisor for approval. Make sure you know how much you are planning to spend.
  2. Once your advisor approves the request, you will receive a PDF copy of the actual field purchase order. You will take a part of it with you to the business when you purchase your items (instructions will be provided). Keep all receipts/invoices.
  3. After you have purchased your items, you will receive a request to upload your receipt/invoice to substantiate your purchase. Make sure this is either a PDF or JPG file type.

If you have someone in your club/organization who tracks your budget closely, make sure they know how much you spent.


All reimbursements for expenses incurred by students must be made via a Student Reimbursement Form and be accompanied by itemized receipts for all expenses.

Expenditures that cannot be reimbursed:

  • Postage or shipping fees 
  • Airline tickets 
  • Salaries or honorariums for speakers, entertainers, or other professional services 

Reimbursement for Club Travel

Whenever your club travels off campus, you must get official permission to be in travel status. Complete the WSU Student & Club Organization Travel Plan and Roster (PDF) and submit this to the appropriate advisor for approval.

If you don’t properly submit the travel plan and roster documentation, you may not get reimbursed by the Business Office.

Reimbursements need to be submitted on the Student Reimbursement form and delivered to the Business Office within 5 days of return travel.

Any club requesting assistance with travel must be sure the budget or cash balance of the group account is enough to cover the expenses of the trip. Funds must be in the club account before the Business Office can assist with any reservations.

Here are some tips for travel purchases: 

  • Check with the vendor if they accept a purchase order for payment. If not, see if they will accept a University check upon arrival. In either case, submit a 1400 form listing the vendor and complete details of the payment to be made by Winona State.
  • If vendors won’t accept a purchase order or a check, students will have to seek reimbursement for the expenses after the event. 
  • If university or fundraising funds in a university account are used for airline tickets, all tickets must be purchased by the Business Office on behalf of those traveling. Students cannot be reimbursed for airline tickets.
Contact Student Senate
Student Senate
109-110 Kryzsko Commons


Email Student Senate
Club Funding & Account Inquiries
Email Senate Treasurer
ASO Director
Email ASO Director