Move In & Move Out Information
Whether you are planning to move in at the beginning of the academic year in August or waiting until spring semester in January, here are some general notes about moving in:
- Check your email regularly so you don’t miss specific move-in information from your residence hall regarding where to pick up your key, traffic and parking information, and more
- View the list of recommended items to bring, and what items to leave at home (PDF)
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Check what the weather in Winona will be on your move-in day and plan accordingly
Follow WSU Housing & Residence Life on social media for additional information and tips!
For Fall 2023, move-in appointments will be on Aug. 16 and 17 from 9am-4pm for all residence halls, including the East Lake Apartments. You will be able to schedule your move-in appointment starting in May after you select your room.
Move-in appointments are 15 minutes. This is a designated time for you to show up at your hall front desk and pick up your key and Warrior ID card. Once you have your key, you are free to move in and get settled in your new space.
There will be designated “Unloading Zones” for parking in front of the halls for students to unload their things. Once you unload your vehicle, you’ll need to park in a lot or on a street away from the residence halls.
- Check your email throughout the summer for important information on living on campus and moving in
- You will receive an email for your Hall Director or Area Coordinator about 5 days before your scheduled appointment with specific information related to parking, key pickup, etc.
- New Student Orientation, activities and floor meetings will begin on Aug. 17 at 4pm, so make sure you are moved in and settled by that time
For Spring 2024, you can check into your room on any of the following days:
- Jan. 5, 11am-6pm
- Jan. 6, 11am-6pm
- Jan. 7, 11am-6pm
During these hours, you can go to your hall front desk to pick up your key. Once you have your key, you can move into your room. More info will be sent via email in mid-December after you’ve been assigned a room.
The housing contract for Fall 2023 begins on Aug 17. Student move-in days are 9am-4pm on Aug. 16-17.
If you need to arrive to campus before Aug. 16, you will need to go through an Early Arrival Request Process. In most cases, students move directly into their Fall room assignment. There will be limited services available for students arriving before Aug. 17, including dining services
if you are part of a group or team that needs to arrive before Aug. 16, you do not need to submit an individual early arrival request.
Your coach or advisor will work directly with the Housing Office staff to determine your arrival date.
Typically, the following teams and groups that need to arrive early include:
- Fall sports athletes
- Warrior Expedition
- Welcome Crew
- International Students
- Orientation Leaders
Under approved circumstances, students may move in as early as Aug. 15.
You can submit a request through the Housing Portal starting in June.
There may be an early arrival fee of $50/day associated with your request if it is approved.
At the end of the academic year, the residence halls and dining services close for the summer:
- Last Day for Food Service: May 2 at 6pm
- Residence Halls Close: May 3 at 5pm
You will need to sign up for a 30-minute check out time with your RA. They will check your room to make sure it is in the same condition as when you moved in, and you will turn in your key.
If you visit home during spring semester, it’s a good idea to start bringing things back to make fully moving out easier. If you need to stay past May 3, you will need to request a late check-out or apply for summer housing through your Housing Portal.
Tips for Checking Out
- Make sure all your items are out of your room prior to your check-out time
- Be sure your room is clean. Basic cleaning supplies are available at your hall front desk, but vacuum cleaners are not available for check out.
- A limited number of moving bins are available in each hall