All Students (Except International Students)
The Affordable Care Act requires everyone to have health insurance or be subject to penalties. Students can meet this requirement with either of these options:
- Coverage under their parent's health insurance policy until age 26
- Purchasing coverage through a health insurance exchange, which is an online marketplace to shop for, compare and purchase health insurance coverage.
How to Get Covered
An individual must obtain insurance through their current state of residency. Here are some options:
- Minnesota Residents: MNSure or 855.3MNSURE or 1.855.366.7873
- Illinois Residents: Get Covered Illinois or 1.866.311.1119
- All Other States: healthcare.gov or 1.800.318.2596
COVID-19 Insurance Information
COVID-19 testing and vaccination is free to all students, no matter your immigration or insurance status. If you do not have insurance, you can still get tested and vaccinated.
If you have insurance, we will apply what we can to your insurance first. Your health insurance company will be billed as follows:
- Cost of Test: $180
- Administrative Cost: $50
If you do not have insurance, then WSU will cover any remaining charges. You should not receive a bill.
WSU Health Services bills most major insurance companies and charges low rates for clinic services to ensure affordability for students.
There is no payment at the time of service. Any costs will be billed to your health insurance.
Please bring current insurance information at each visit to Health & Wellness Services.
If you don't have your card, email a picture of both the front and back to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include these specific pieces of information:
- Group ID
- Name of Policy Carrier (who is the insurance through)
Coverage at WSU Health Services
Coverage for being seen at WSU Health & Wellness Services can be determined by calling your insurance provider and finding out if our clinic is in-network or out-of-network.
- If WSU Health & Wellness Services is out-of-network, you can expect to see all of the charges on your bill
- As an out-of-network benefit, you can have your current provider at your home clinic give your insurance company a referral stating that you will be receiving care at WSU Health & Wellness Services while attending college
- Become in-network by switching to WSU Health & Wellness as your primary care facility. Contact your customer service from the number on the back of your insurance card to request this change.
These options are not guarantees of coverage. The best way to determine your coverage options are to call your insurance provider.
For more information on health insurance options or billing, contact the student health insurance coordinator Traci Kauphusman at email@example.com or 507.457.2224.
International Students - United Health Care Student Resource Insurance
WSU offers an injury and sickness insurance plan through United Health Care Student Resources Insurance.
All international students, scholars and faculty engaged in educational activities are required by Minnesota state law to enroll in the plan.
If you have a sponsoring government plan must show proof of insurance to the student insurance advocate within the first 45 days of enrollment to be considered for an exemption.
For more information on United Health Care Student Resources Insurance, to schedule an appointment or to request insurance information to be sent to you, email Pam Rasmussen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507.457.2224.