Basic Needs Resources in Winona

Find resources at WSU and local organizations for support with housing, food, child care, transportation, health care, and more.

If you have any questions or need help accessing resources, please contact Karen Stoltz at or 507.457.5023.

United Way 2-1-1

The United Way 2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that can connect you to local resources wherever you live in Minnesota. It’s available 24/7 and ready to help whenever you need it.

Text MNHELP to 898-211 or call 211 (toll free at 1.800.543.7709) to learn about services in your community for you or a loved one.

Your conversation with our trained specialists is completely confidential. Call menus are available in English, Spanish, and Hmong. Interpreters are also available for any language.

Local Emergency Resources

What Support Do You Need?

The WSU Children’s Center provides early childhood education and child care for students who are also parenting.

There are many local resources, and this list is not exhaustive:


State Government Programs

Handshake is WSU’s job search tool for on-campus jobs, internships, and even full-time employment.

Students can also take advantage of resources to help with resumé writing, practicing interviews, exploring future careers, and so much more—all for free through WSU Career Services.

Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid each year to help pay for college.

There are many scholarships, grants, and other funding programs available from WSU, state governments, and the federal government.

The North Star Promise Scholarship program provides Minnesota residents a tuition and fee-free pathway to a degree from WSU.

You can also find other scholarships from private businesses and non-profit organizations. The WSU Course Catalog has a list of outside scholarships.

Find Energy offers utility bill assistance to students who struggle to cover their utility expenses.

Learn more about fiscal health with WSU’s money management online resources.


Emergency Funds

If you need a small loan to help cover unexpected costs, you can get a short-term loan from WSU. Submit your Short-Term Loan Application to the Warrior Hub by 1:30pm for same-day service.

WSU students can also apply for up to $500 in Student Emergency Grant Aid to cover a basic needs concern. Complete the Student Emergency Grant Application, and your requested fund amount will be considered.

The State of Minnesota also offers the Emergency Assistance for Postsecondary Students (EAPS) Grant Program.

The Warrior Cupboard is an on-campus food shelf for students located in the Integrated Wellness Center (IWC).

To use this resource, complete the Warrior Cupboard Access Request Form on WarriorSpace. Once access is granted, students can use their Warrior ID to access the Warrior Cupboard during regular IWC hours.

The Winona Volunteer Services Food Shelf is another local resource.


State Government Programs

WSU Health Services offers clinic services on campus and via telehealth for students who live in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Call 507.457.5160 to schedule an appointment.

The Semcac Clinic provides low-cost services for women, men, transgender, and gender non-conforming people.

If you’re looking for affordable health insurance, MNsure is the health insurance marketplace for Minnesotans to compare health plans and find the coverage that fits their needs.

WSU has a variety of residence halls available to students, including options for summer housing. Students often find roommates through WSU Facebook groups and off-campus apartments in the Wazoo’s List Facebook group.

Semcac provides local housing assistance, and you can call 507.452.8396 to learn about available housing options.

There are public housing complexes maintained throughout the City of Winona. The State of Minnesota has a variety of resources for students experiencing homelessness.

Emergency Housing

WSU students who are living off campus and are displaced by a natural disaster or other issue outside of their control that affects their housing (e.g., fire, flood, gas leak) can contact Housing & Residence Life at for emergency housing.

You’re eligible for 5 nights of free housing to secure future housing. You can extend this service up to 2 weeks, but after the fifth night you’ll be charged the daily rate of $50/night.

If you choose to stay in on-campus housing after the 2 weeks, you can sign an agreement with Housing for a pro-rated fee. The room assignment may change after the 2 weeks of emergency housing. You must agree to adhere to all the policies and procedures of Housing & Residence Life.

Emergency housing is not available to students who have had their housing contract cancelled for disciplinary reasons.

WSU Student Union & Activities contracts with an attorney in Winona to provide free legal advice to students who are currently enrolled at WSU.

The service is offered throughout the semester, but not during holidays or breaks. If you’d like to connect with the lawyer, email

Another resource is the Southern MN Regional Legal Services, which provides legal help to low-income people with civil matters.

WSU Counseling Services offers free, confidential counseling to all WSU students. Appointments are offered in-person or via Zoom.

To schedule an appointment, call 507.457.5330 or email

There are many counselors in the Winona area who can help support your mental health needs. Please note this list is not exhaustive:


Statewide Resources


National 24/7 Crisis Resources

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline

  • Call or Text: 988
  • En Español: 1.888.628.9454
  • Deaf/Hard of Hearing: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711, then 988
  • Online Chat

Veteran’s Crisis Line

Steve Fund (Support for BIPOC People)

  • Text “STEVE” to 741741

The Trevor Project (Support for LGBTQ People)

  • Call: 866.488.7386
  • Text: Text “START” to 678678

National Eating Disorders Association

  • Call: 800.931.2237
  • Text: Text “NEDA” to 741741
  • Online Chat

Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN)

All WSU students have access to laptops with the eWarrior Program as well as free Wi-Fi on campus.

If you have any issues with your device or trouble connecting, reach out to WSU Tech Support.

Students can check out a WSU Mobile Hotspot for 24 hours through the WSU Krueger Library. There is no fee, but if you do not return the hotspot within 1 week it is considered “Lost” and you will be billed.  The hotspot is available on a first come, first serve basis.

PCs for People may be an affordable option for computer and internet access if you choose not to participate in the eWarrrior Program.

Both Spectrum and Comcast provide reduced rates for home internet with their Spectrum Internet Assist and Comcast Internet Essentials programs.


Government Programs for Internet Access

The WSU Shuttle is a free service for WSU students to get between Main Campus and East Lake Apartments.

Students are also able to ride the Winona Transit bus around city-wide routes at no cost.

If you need transportation for non-emergency medical needs, Speedy Van may be an option.